Jerry Owens for Freeholder At Large Essex County Democratic Committee
  • FYI

Accepting Resumes for Freeholder At Large Posted on November 13, 2012

The Essex County Democratic Committee is accepting resumes for the vacant Freeholder At Large elected office.

We ask that you promptly submit the resumes and any other relevant information via e-mail: ecdcthigpen@aol.com

All resumes and cover letters must be received by November 21,2012 at 4 PM.

No exceptions will be permissible.

You are also free to fax your materials to 973-622-2606, however electronic mail is optimal.
    Post edited by tommorris at 2012-12-06 15:19:38
  • tommorris said:

FYI

Why are you posting this now? The deadline appears to have been last week.
  • Steve,

I just received this information today.

I am an elected democratic committeeman from South Orange (district 3).
    Post edited by tommorris at 2012-11-27 18:37:53
  • No exceptions. Get your resumes and cover letters in last Wednesday.
  • Democracy at it's finest ... a free and open process ... but only after it's closed :)
  • A vacancy occurred for At-Large Freeholder seat on November 15.

The full Essex County Democratic County Committee has 30 days from Nov. 15 to fill vacancy at a meeting.

Meeting to fill vacancy will be held on December 13.

The Vacancy term lasts till November 15, 2013.

There will be an election for the unexpired term at the June 2013 primary and the November 5, 2013 election.

The winner will be sworn in on Nov. 15, 2013 and will serve unexpired term until Dec. 31, 2014.

The full 3 year term will appear on the June 2014 and November 2014 ballot.

That term will start on Jan. 1, 2015.

This process could include 3 different people...or just 1 person.
  • But doesn't this part of your post make all that information pretty much irrelevant?

tommorris said:

FYI

No exceptions will be permissible.

• tommorris, you’re very funny. You post a notice for interested candidate submissions a week AFTER the deadline for a process that has no transparency and no creditability. Then, when questioned about the absurd nature of your post, you respond “I just received this information today. I am an elected democratic committeeman from South Orange (district 3).” Thanks for reminding everyone of Hogan’s Heroes’ Sgt. Schultz, who often repeated "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!"

BTW, what’s the S.O. Democratic Committee’s chairwoman Trustee Bauer’s thinking on your week-too-late outreach efforts?
  • tommorris, you’re very funny. You post a notice for interested candidate submissions a week AFTER the deadline for a process that has no transparency and no creditability. Then, when questioned about the absurd nature of your post, you respond “I just received this information today. I am an elected democratic committeeman from South Orange (district 3).” Thanks for reminding everyone of Hogan’s Heroes’ Sgt. Schultz, who often repeated "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!"

BTW, what’s the S.O. Democratic Committee’s chairwoman Trustee Bauer’s thinking on your week-too-late outreach efforts?

this is the best thread ever!
  • Tommorris: excellent job perpetuating the ineptitude of government. I'm thinking of moving to your district so that I can vote for you.
  • Transparent,

I posted information I received today.

Your criticism of me is unfair.

Please address your question to Trustee Bauer directly.
  • Red Barchetta,

I disagree with you.

I simply posted information I received today.
  • This is party politics at its worst (or best, depending on one's perspective). This vacancy was the result of Donald Payne, Jr.'s election to Congress. He apparently resigned so that he could devote his full efforts to his Congressional post. Wasn't he elected to fill the post following his father's passing back in June? If so, why didn't he resign then? Because then there probably would have been an election to fill the vacancy earlier this month and the party wouldn't have controlled the selection.
  • I keep reading this thread title as 'Accepting Large resumes ...'
  • Is it true that the S.O. Democratic Committee will be awarding a Starbuck’s gift card to the first 100 voters who can name both South Orange’s Freeholder and our At-Large Essex Freeholder? Kindly, submit all entries to tommorris by pm by November 21st.
  • Trans Parent,

Please address your question to S.O. Democratic Committee Chair Janine Bauer directly.

I am sorry.

I have no knowledge of that which you speak.

Have a good day and a pleasant tomorrow.
  • I was mostly just joking about the Democracy in action crack ... apparently it is a bit of sore spot for some. I just thought it was silly that you posted information that can not be acted upon without benefit of some sort of time travel device regardless of when you received it.

Since you received information that was 'out-dated' why did you bother posting it?

• CapnMarko said:

Since you received information that was 'out-dated' why did you bother posting it?

I can only guess from Tom's responses here that he was looking to highlight the fact that he, as an "elected democratic committeeman from South Orange," only received the Essex County Democratic Committee's application solicitation for Freeholder-at-Large after the due date.

It seems to me that it would have been a lot more poignant and effective for Tom to actually post just that if that's his point, instead of making us look at the date, look at the calendar, scratch our head and wonder if Tom forgot to jump into his time machine before posting. But hey, to each his own, I suppose.

• Somethingz Fishy,

I agree with you.

Thank you.

I do wish I had a time machine.
  • The best way to communicate a message is to be clear and concise.

Try it sometime, my friend.

I will now go eat a peach. (:|
  • Well it's not like he had a duty to post the vacancy here for the available Freeloader, I mean Freeholder, position.
  • Trans Parent - showing your age with a reference to Hogan's heroes. But it is a perfect analogy.

• What quailities are you guys looking for most in a Freeholder? Besides being related to a past or present Freeholder, that is.
  • SO Refugee,

Thank you for your advice.
  • This thread makes me wonder why I am a Democrat.
  • brianoleary,

you're always welcome to come join us.
  • "I am not a member of an organized political party. I am a Democrat."

Will Rodgers
  • still the best thread ever!
  • @vermontgolfer. Tempting, but no :) There's a middle ground.

But man, this is so lame, posting a vacancy a week after it closed. It just underlines how little the Democratic Party in Essex County or South Orange cares about what it supposedly means to be a Democrat. There's no more inclusion than there would be among Republicans.

Before the election, someone came by to drop off a "get out the vote" flier (largely for Obama). I was raking the front lawn and we stopped to talk. I asked why we had more or less given Donald Payne's seat to his son, appointing him at the outset and giving him the inside track on the primary. He just shrugged and said "That's the way it is in Essex County".
  • The Name You Know!
    MV5BMTU2NjUxNjQxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ1NDMyMQ@@__V1__SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

• I don't understand the concept of posting for applicants for an elected position. Am I missing something?
  • it's likely an appointed position due to the vacancy. one of course, which soon becomes a perennially elected position.
  • wnb said:

I don't understand the concept of posting for applicants for an elected position. Am I missing something?

I'm guessing - but not sure as I haven't looked into how vacancies are filled - that the Board fills the vacancy until the next election and, since the Board is (presumably) populated by Democrats, the party anoints identifies its preferred candidate who is then appointed by the Board.
    Post edited by Steve at 2012-11-28 16:38:55
  • The incumbent resigned, after being elected permanently to Congress. Before that, he had been appointed and then (at the time of the primary) was elected to fill a spot during the time between the primary and the general election.

Although there was pretty much no likelihood that Donald Payne Jr, would lose the general election, his temporary status as a Congressman allowed him to be paid as both a member of Congress and a Freeholder, until he was elected to Congress on a permanent basis.

It's not a huge issue, but it tells a bit about what county politicians think about when it comes to an election. It also tells you something about what people with county ties think about when they make decisions that affect South Orange. Remember that the next time someone tells you that our elections should all be held in November.
  • Payne was never appointed to fill his father's seat - it was vacant until the Primary/Special Election, after which he sworn in. I don't know what "temporary status" means. Aren't all elected positions "temporary" in that one must stand for reelection? I don't understand why it would matter that he was elected to complete a term as opposed to being elected for a full term in relation to one's ability to serve as a Freeholder.
  • and then there's his Newark City Council Seat, which was the subject of so much consternation when Booker called an audible to name his replacement.
  • If you are appointed or elected to complete a term, you are generally allowed to keep the government job you have until the next election, when the vote becomes permanent. ETA: don't even start to consider pensionable salaries in New Jersey.
    Post edited by brianoleary at 2012-11-28 16:52:44
  • @brianoleary - do you have a citation for that? I find it to be stunning in its bizarreness.
  • I will dig it up.
  • CapnMarko said:

I can only guess from Tom's responses here that he was looking to highlight the fact that he, as an "elected democratic committeeman from South Orange," only received the Essex County Democratic Committee's application solicitation for Freeholder-at-Large after the due date.

Exactly.
    Post edited by tommorris at 2012-11-28 18:43:46
  • For those who stepped out for a break or maybe joined this show after it started, let’s recap where we stand:

1. tommorris, elected South Orange Democratic Committeeman (with BFFer Joe Di avatar) posts a notice, a week after the deadline for submission, from the Essex County Democratic Committee soliciting resumes from individuals who want to be invited to run for County Freeholder-at-Large.

2. MOL’ers scratch their heads in unison, wondering why he’s posting this obviously useless, borderline offensive notice, to which he responded, “I just received this information today.”

3. Somethingz Fishy suggests maybe “he was looking to highlight the fact that he, as an ‘elected democratic committeeman from South Orange,’ only received the Essex County Democratic Committee's application solicitation for Freeholder-at-Large after the due date.”

4. tommorris responds, “I agree with you.”

[Feels like we’re watching the teenage star of "Two and a Half Men," who recently urged viewers to "Please stop watching it. Please stop filling your head with filth." And, then recanted when someone reminded him he’s been a part of the show for the past decade.]

5. MOL’ers rail on, again, about Essex County Democratic Committee machine.

6. brianoleary observes “It also tells you something about what people with county ties think about when they make decisions that affect South Orange. Remember that the next time someone tells you that our elections should all be held in November.”

Carry on.
  • The meeting to choose the replacement for Donald Payne, Jr. as Essex County Freeholder at Large will be December 13, at 6:00
    at West Orange High School.

I do not know who has submitted their name for consideration, but will post as I learn more.
  • I'd like to submit my name. Since the deadline was 2 weeks ago, that means I still have time. Right?
  • PPP: It's not "ineptitude," it's "corruption."
  • Power brokers have been discussing this long before Payne won. Even a timely announcement to submit a CV wouldn't have any real meaning.
  • Half the Newark City Council nods its head in agreement with you, Dave.
  • Best thread ever!!
  • Well, they are the board of CHOSEN freeholders, so what's the beef? I trust the judgment of Blonnie, Rufus, and the gang just fine.
  • Frozen Cheeseloaders
  • Current and former Essex County freeholders face ELEC campaign finance reporting complaints

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2012/12/current_and_former_essex_count.html

some choice excerpts:

Former Essex County at-large freeholder Donald Payne Jr. and current freeholder D. Bilal Beasley, who represents District 2, both failed to file three certified reports disclosing their campaign finances before and after the June 7, 2011 primary election where both successfully secured their freeholder seats.

Payne, who resigned as freeholder last month after being elected to succeed his late father in representing the state's 10th Congressional District, could face at least $20,400 in penalties.
    Questions have also surfaced about campaign contributions that appear to have been made by the late Donald Payne Sr. months after he died in office that, according to the Federal Election Commission, was nearly $10,000 more than the legal limit.

The fines for Beasley, also Irvington's township council president, could be much steeper. He could faces at least $40,800 in penalties. According to ELEC, Beasley previously failed to comply with campaign reporting requirements during the primary election in 2005. He paid a fine of $3,625.
  • Come on, us little folk needn't concern ourselves as to how our chosen freeloaders finance their campaigns. There's a thing called trust.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

FOR SALE

Lighting McQueen Bed - $150

BOB Ironman - $250 or best offer

Shock Silicone jacket Pink - 21

PATIO SET - $100

Original paneled doors with latch hardware - 0

Rentals

Sunlit Spacious Home by Boat Meadow Beach, Eastham, Cape Cod - Sleeps 8-10**1 Summer Week Left!!** - $215-$350 per night

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 19

Cleaning Services 7

Elderly Care 6

Nanny 49

Office Work 10

Other 15

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 31

Cleaning Services 48

Elderly Care 10